Monday, May 20, 2013

How to Change Your Felony Conviction to a Misdemeanor - 402 Motions

A felony conviction can change your life. Consequences of a felony conviction can include:

1.  Losing the right to hold public;
2.  Losing the right to vote;
3.  Losing the right to serve on a jury;
4.  Losing the ability to have a firearm;
5.  Losing the ability to hold certain licenses and certificates;
6.  Losing job opportunities;
7.  Embarrassment, loss of reputation, and more.

When someone has been convicted of a felony, there is hope of having that felony reduced to a misdemeanor.  In the State of Utah, a felony conviction can be reduced to a misdemeanor either at the time of sentencing, or at the successful completion of probation.  The rules for obtaining this kind of reduction are found in Utah Code Annotated section 76-3-402.  A motion to reduce the offense level of a conviction is commonly referred to as a "402 motion."

In a 402 motion, a person can ask a court to reduce the offense level of a conviction by one level.  For example, someone convicted of a third degree felony could ask to have the conviction reduced to a class A misdemeanor.  With the agreement of the prosecutor, a conviction can be reduced by two levels (i.e. from a 2nd degree felony to a class A misdemeanor.)  Misdemeanor offense levels can also be reduced using this law (i.e. a class A misdemeanor can be reduced to a class B misdemeanor.)

A 402 offense level reduction has many benefits.  In addition to the benefits gained from removing an embarrassing felony from one's record, it can also pave the way for expungement qualification, to remove the conviction completely.  The more serious the conviction level, the more difficult it is to expunge a conviction, and the longer a person has to wait to qualify.  One or two offense level reductions can speed up the expungement process by years.

I have been successful in assisting clients in reducing the offense levels to their convictions using 402 motions, and in helping them expunge their convictions.  If you have questions about this process, give me a call.

22 comments:

  1. It still amazes me the amount of success lawyers have and how much they can help their clients. Especially lawyer like you, I feel like you have a tough job. We had a neighbor that used a Dallas criminal defense attorney and they got lowered from felony to misdemeanor. It totally changed how their life played out. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I've been looking for a criminal lawyer in Salt Lake City, but don't know what to look for. Do you have any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this post! It was very informative and gave me some ideas to help my brother! I just need to find a criminal defense lawyer in Clovis .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to tell my friend to ask his criminal attorney in Chicago about this. Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for this information. Do you know where I could find a criminal defense lawyers in Charlottesville Va?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's important to have criminal attorneys in Roseville CA. The jury has to see both sides of the case.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to find and read your article. It is informative and have worthy piece of information. Should like to utilize it. Many Thanks for sharing.
    GrigsbyLawGroup | Criminal Lawyer Las Vegas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this article. Many people seem confused about the process to change a felony to a misdemeanor. I'm glad I was able to talk to my criminal attorney in Auburn about this a few years ago. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for the post. I personally have been in a very similar situation and luckily, I had a great DUIlawyer in Poulsbo, WA on my side.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never banked on the fact that you could turn over a criminal felony conviction into a lower level offense. I wonder if that works here in Las Vegas for some of our bail bonds clients?

    bail bonds for las vegas

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really appreciate this information. My mother is looking for a good criminal lawyer in Harford County MD. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have you heard of employment lawyer oakville? It is pretty good I have heard.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am really interested about criminal lawyers and what they do. Are they the ones working with the criminals and are they okay with what they are doing? I just don't know if I would be able to help a criminal out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not that these attorneys actually help "criminals". In the American justice system everyone is innocent till proven guilty, therefor, the people they help are not technically criminals yet. And even then, sometimes they never should have been and they were just some innocent person who got blamed.

      Delete
  15. That sounds really rough. I hope I never need a Minneapolis, MN criminal defense attorney. I guess if I do I know where to look, but I think I'll just try to avoid the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice article. I think it is useful and unique article. I love this kind of article and this kind of blog. I have enjoyed it very much. Thanks for your website.
    Utah tax attorney

    ReplyDelete
  17. Keep the balls rolling!! Nice posts you have given for us.
    fairfax lawyers

    ReplyDelete
  18. My husband and I have been looking for a new lawyer. At my husbands work he is not being treated fairly anymore. We don't think what the company is doing is right. Is there a lawyer someone can recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  19. The vital information in this blogs has allured me.
    dwi ny

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful, just what a blog it is! This blog has provided the helpful data to us continue the good work. ny central booking

    ReplyDelete